My friends are quick to remind me that I’ve taken an awfully long time to record my own album. And they’re right too…right now I can’t remember if I started in 2010 or 2009 (or earlier!?). But it certainly hasn’t been wasted time – I’ve learned a lot since my first indignation when my producer laughed out loud when I said “…I’ve worked it out and it should only take me 3 months – 4 Max – to record a whole album…”. So I figured I’d jot down some of the wisdom I’ve garnered. The first may come as no surprise…
(1) It will take longer than you expect. Much longer.
(2) What sounded amazing to begin with will eventually sound shit.
(3) What sounded shit will eventually sound amazing.
(4) No one will agree with you in either case.
(5) You say ‘click track’, I say ‘soul-less hell’.
(6) Your idea is not better than mine. (Your idea was better than mine).
(7) Any run of perfect health will always drastically end the day before a vocal take.
(8) The probability that the take will be amazing is indirectly proportionate to the likelihood that you’ll remember to press ‘Record’.
(9) Ditto for ‘computer freeze’ and ‘sudden noisy bus’ outside.
(10) The plugin is a lie.
With more recording on the way I’d say it is safe to say the list will grow… Happy Tuesday!